Finally it’s time to paint, new or old house. Why painting ? because painting is love and painting is life. Color can indeed change the mood and improve the looks and beauty of your house. In this article we will discuss on those things you need to paint a room. This is all DIY exercise that can be done in about five hours or more depending on the width and length of the room you want to paint. The cost is also depend on how many gallons of paint you need and whether you need to buy tools or not. Anyway let’s begin this article by listing things you need to paint a room.
Tools and materials
- Synthetic-bristle brushes (2 ½-inch blunt, 1 ½-inch angled sash, “throwaways” for touch-ups), for painting moldings and doors.
- Paint rollers for walls
- Caulking gun to help filling gaps and even stuff
- Paint pan for loading the paint roller with paint
- Hammer and nail set for recessing any protruding nails
- Paint strainer to remove impurities from the paint while being poured
- A bucket to hold your paint
- Putty knife, this can be used to apply spackling compound and to even out some caulking
- Utility knife for clearing caulking gun’s tip
- Window scraper and razor blade to scrape paint off window glass
- Brush, roller spiner and wire brush to clean brushes
- 5 in 1 painter’s tools for cleaning roll covers
- Wet/dry vacuum cleaner with sanding attachment
- Cordless drill for help replacing hardware, this is optional.
- Telescoping pole sander, to help reach place where you unable to sand them properly
And now the painting materials, and guess what, it’s not only paint in the things you need to paint a room.
- The paint itself. One gallon of paint is sufficient for painting over four hundreds square feet of room. In order to figure how much you need, a bit of maths is required. Add up all the lengths of your wall, then multiply it by the sum of height of the room you’re about to paint. Subtract the result by 20 square feet to account for each doors and 15 for each windows. You later need to divide the result by 400 to get the final requirements for paint.
- 120 grit scale silicon carbide sandpaper, get about dozens of it and shape it to fit your pole sander
- Large cleaning sponge
- Sanding sponge
- Laterx painter’s caulk
- Paint primer, you’ll need one
- Painter’s blue tape to cover those you don’t want got accidentally painted
- Roller covers
- Bucket and its liner
The painting Overview
This time we will begin with the painting procedure, after reviewing things you need to paint a room. However we will start with some overview first.
It’s easy to spot sloppy paint job
Sloppy paint job is easy to spot, with all of the uneven lines, drip, slip and other imperfections. Haste is often the culprit, thus preparations is highly required. At least you must prepare a day to set up things before stary laying your primer. Keep relaxing and just don’t expect things to be perfect.
Primer before paint
As was listed on the material list in things you need to paint a room. Primer is important, mainly for covering surface imperfections at your wall and provide a solid base for the main paint. This is especially important on new wall. Primer is also required when color change is needed, like say you want to go from dark to light color and vice versa. Primer also need to be sanded before painting.
Best preparation begin with sanding
The preparation before you start painting is sanding and extend to even scraping, and you’ll do a lot of them. Why ? Because sanding and scraping may provide best workplace for your paint to grip. It’ll also get rid the imperfect older paint. One word of caution is to always prepare gloves, masks and eye protection during scraping or sanding. Some house may still have unsafe lead containing paint, and you don’t want dust to get inhaled anyway.
Watch out with covers
If this your first time painting, it’s just natural to try covering up and prepare to reduce mistake. However using too much tapes to cover edges can brought a whole problem on its own. It will be hard to clean and remove properly should the paint bleeds inside the tape. Use angled brush instead that can allow you to make straight line in angle. It will save you lots of time and set ups.
Make sure to keep moving while painting, put it on the wall and level it on where it’s heavy and keep it on. Do not need to think about having a perfect first swipe because it’s just a waste of time. Don’t use back and forth style brush strokers. One additional tip is to keep yourself a wet rag to quickly swipe out your mistake.
Paintings in 5 simple steps
And now the painting itself. After reviewing and some preparations, we’ll be ready to turn your wall into a work of art or at least functional wall with color.
Start by cleaning ceiling and walls
- You’ll need to clean everything you want to paint before dropping your primer and paint. Clean the wall with water, and if necessary, you can use detergent solution which can help remove various grease spot, dust build ups and other substances. Or you can first scrape off the old paint before laying down the water.
- Around the edges cutting
- Begin your touch of color painting project at the corner of the room use two or two and half inch brush to cut in, with three inches of strip of coating along the perimeter where wall and ceiling meet.
- Coloring the ceiling
- Rolling time, with your roller, you can now paint the ceiling. You can reduce the possibility of dripping the paint by removing the excess paint on the roller. How so ? by rolling it back and forth on the ridges of the roller tray.
- As in previous section, you may need to start from the corner of the room.
- The wall
- You can paint the wall with your roller after the ceiling paint dried russian women dating web up. For efficiency, you can start painting at the corner, using W pattern.
- Trim coloring
- After wall painting is dry, you can begin to pain the trim. For this the blue tape would be useful to cover up those sections you don’t want to accidentally paint.
Those are some important things you need to paint a room. Hope this answers your need.